Category: Airports

Sebring Regional Airport

Sebring Regional Airport is open to the public.

The airport is located in north of Lake Placid in the town of Sebring.

The airport was built in 1940 and was originally named Hendricks Field. The US Army Air Corps used the airport during World War II to train flight crews for the B-17 Flying Fortress.  In 1946 the airport was acquired by the City of Sebring and used for a civilian airfield.

The Sebring Regional Airport is also the home of the Sebring Races, an endurance American Le Mans race held in March of each year since 1952.

The airport is just a short drive from Lake Placid.

Center map
Get Directions

Avon Park Airport

 

Avon Park Airport opened as a civil airport in April 1940 as Avon Park Municipal Airport.  This is a public airport owned by the City of Avon Park, Florida.

The airport was under the control of the United States Army Air Corps from October 4th, 1941 until October 16th, 1944. During this time it became a training airfield for cadets under contract to Lodwick Aviation Military Academy, Assigned to United States Army Air Forces East Coast Training Center as a level one pilot training airfield.

The airport had three 4’000 hard surfaced for landings and takeoffs and four auxiliary airfields for overflow and emergency landings.

In October 1944 the airport was declared surplus and eventually returned to civil airport operations.

The Airport is located on State Road 64, one mile west of U.S. Highway 27.

www.avonparkairport.com